Some places are truly mesmerizing and a visual treat for your eyes. One such place is South India where many traditional temples are located. The magnificent monuments, unique architecture, awesome sculpture and above all the never-ending culture are featured by the South Indian temples. From the temples built by the kings in ancient days to the temples built by the current people that slightly add a modern are breathtaking and peaceful by nature.
Incredible snaps have collected a list of those extremely beautiful traditional lands of South India,
1. Virupaksha temple: Virupaksha temple is a true pride of the Vijayanagara Empire. This temple is situated on the banks of the river Tungabhadra. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. This place is very popular for its extremely beautiful architecture and tall gopurams. The Ranga Mandapa located at the center of the temple is the top attraction here. Above all this South Indian temple is a UNESCO world heritage site member.
2. Meenakshi temple: Meenakshi temple is very popular all over the world. Many foreigners come to Madurai to visit this temple. This temple is located on the banks of the river Vaigai. This temple is dedicated to the goddesses Parvati and her consort Lord Shiva. This temple is also very well known as Meenakshi Sundareswar temple. The architecture and the sculptures are extremely beautiful and unique.
3. Venkateswara temple: Venkateswara temple is located in the hill town of Tirupathi in Andhra Pradesh. This temple is one of the most visited temples all over India. This temple is dedicated to the Lord Vishnu. This temple is one of the richest temples in the entire world. This place is all time crowded with people.
4. Ramanathaswamy temple: the ramanathaswamy temple is located on the islands of Rameshwaram. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. This temple is one among the twelve divine Jyotirlinga temples in India. There are 21 wells located inside the temple. This place is also one among the chardhams of India. There is a beautiful sea located near the temple.
5. Aihole and Pattadakal: this temple is situated in one of the capital cities of Chalukyas. Chalukyas are always very well known for their awesome temple construction. This place is also very well called as “cradle of Hindu Rock Architecture”. There are many temples nearby this temple which is very popular as well.
6. Airavatesvara Temple : this Airavatesvara temple is located in the Darasuram town near Kumbakonam. This temple was built during the Dravidian dynasty. This temple is one of the beautifully built temples of Tamil Nadu. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The name Airavata is the name of the white elephant of Indra who used to worship the temple. The unique style of stone carving is the center of attraction here.
7. The Brihadeshwara temple: this Brihadeshwara temple is 1005 years old temple. This is one of the examples of splendid architecture of Tamil Nadu. This temple is located in Thanjavur. The temple was built during the Chola dynasty. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is also one among the UNESCO world heritage sites.
8. Vitthala temple: Vitthala temple is often called and very well known as the temple with musical pillars. Vitthala temple is very popular for its awe strucking architecture and amazing designs. This temple is dedicated to the Lord Vishnu. It is said that you can hear musical notes from the pillars when they are played in a certain way. This temple is also famous for its handmade giant stone chariot and its monolithic aspects.
9. Suchindram temple: Suchindram temple is most often called as Thanumalayan temple. This temple is another example of splendid architecture and unique constructing talent of the people in the South. The legends of Anasuya and Ahalya are adjacent to this temple. The temple features four musical pillars, hanging pillars and the linga that represents the three Lords Bramha,Vishnu, and Maheshwar.
10. Sri Ranganathaswamy temple: this temple is located in Srirangam, Tiruchirapalli. This temple is dedicated to one of the forms of the Lord Vishnu that is “Ranganathan”. The temple is built on the banks of the river Kaveri. The temple is featured with extremely powerful beliefs and beautiful monuments.
11. Ayyappa temple: Ayyappa temple is located in Sabarimala in Kerala. This is one of the most visited temples in India. The temples have very strong religious believes and cultural elements. Over 100 million people visit this temple every year. This is one of the most prominent temples of all the Sastha temples.
12. Kanchipuram temple: this place is not only famous for its silk but also very well known for its traditional temples. There are a thousand temples in this single city. it is quite often called as the city of thousand temples. The temples here are dedicated to both of Lord Shiva and Vishnu. The temples will grab your attention for sure with their peaceful atmosphere and admiring architecture.13. Arunachaleshwar temple: this temple is located at Thiruvannamalai. This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. This temple is very famous for its nine towers, three inner courtyards, and awesome surrounding. During the month of December and November every year a huge lamp is lit on the top of the mountain. People across the world come here to join the festival.